Friday, February 13, 2009

White Zombie is Surprisingly Entertaining


First off I just want to say that I really enjoyed this film. I just finished watching it for the second time and I think what intrigues me most about the movie is its story. Yeah it’s a little corny. But interesting and entertaining nonetheless. While watching it I really felt like I was watching a piece of film history that many people have never experienced. It really reminded me of when I saw Todd Browning’s Freaks for the first time last semester. Anyway, there are two things that stuck out to me most the first time I watched the film so I decided to focus on them while watching it the second time around. I found myself being intrigued by the shots and techniques that the filmmakers used (specifically the use of eyes), but I also found myself being interested in the apparent historical undertones that are never fully addressed on the surface.
Like I said, the first thing that struck me about the film and really made me like it was the story. To me, the concept is clever. A man falls in love with a woman and is willing to turn her into a zombie in order to have her all for himself. The idea seems original, especially since there are so many horror films that follow the same cookie cutter patterns. In terms of filmmaking, to me, White Zombie is unique and developed in its style. The film is relatively well shot, with interesting compositions and framings that make particular images stand out (the cross framing around Lugosi as he walks down the stairs which is later repeated when Madeline walks). Also, the eyes that are frequently superimposed on the screen, although somewhat corny, provide not only foreshadowing but also symbolism for what is both on and beneath the surface. Despite these positive examples of the film’s style and production, there are so many moments that are characteristic of amateur filmmaking. Even though the film was made on a low budget, I really don’t feel like that should be an excuse for the frequent jump cuts, continuity errors, and at some points, downright silliness. Why the hell was the sound effect for the vulture clearly a person screaming in pain? Although I said that I liked the film, I’m actually a bit torn. I just don’t understand why it couldn’t have been made a little bit more professionally.
As far as looking at this film in terms of political and historical undertones, there are so many things to consider. While watching White Zombie the first time I felt like it was clear that Bela Lugosi’s character symbolized U.S. involvement and control over Haiti in the early 1900’s. Legendre’s power and control over the “zombies”, who are obviously representative of slaves being forced to do labor, is shown as being unethical and ultimately evil. The filmmakers repeatedly use a superimposed shot of Legendre’s eyes. At first glance, this technique may seem a little bit jokey but it is cleverly used to show Legendre’s physical and psychological control over the other characters. If we are looking at this from a historical perspective, this particular image could very well symbolize America’s watchful eye and control over various parts of the world. Another interesting thing about White Zombie, if we are looking at it in this particular way, is that there is really no character that is “good” in the film. Every character is white, upper class, and either American or European. In a way, if the filmmakers did have these historical undertones in mind, I find their motives to be questionable.
Overall, whether we look at White Zombie for its technical aspects or we wonder whether there is a connection or possible critique of American and European colonialism, it is without a doubt a unique film. I personally enjoyed it very much and am not completely sure of all the reasons why. But to me, setting aside the film’s silliness and at some times very amateur production, I feel like White Zombie should be viewed not only for its significance in film history but also because it is surprisingly entertaining.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, budget should not be an excuse. Especially considering the time period. Movies back then did not require the millions that the film industry requires today.
    If you want to see a movie with some really great eye shots, you should check out Twilight. TOTALLY kidding. In fact, that movie was a lot scarier than White Zombie.
    Beaumont wanting Madeline in anyway he could get her reminds me of and of the Twilight Zones of scary movies where the villian or whoever collects dolls. Even though he wasn't as sadistic, to me it seemed he just wanted another pretty "toy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, you must be a film major? I didn't notice as much of the filming technique details that you mentioned. I guess part of me assumes that old films are going to look relatively cheesy compared to current films.

    I think that most of the characters in the film are upper-class white people (mostly men) because that is what the viewers would be comfortable with. I doubt the movie makers wanted to address the ridiculousness of the US occupation of Haiti.

    Maybe I should watch the film a second time and then I will find it to be as entertaining as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL SAID! I agree fully, this film is a breath of fresh air. I for one really enjoyed the close up on Legendre’s eyes, even though it was quite a bit cheesier than needed.

    "This particular image could very well symbolize America’s watchful eye and control over various parts of the world."- Very uniquely put as well. The eye of Uncle Sam is always watching everyone.

    You are extremely insightful on your "reviews." Keep em comin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reminded of the 'eye' of the government from "1984" and "V for Vendetta" where those in control have an all seeing eye and beware those who seek to destroy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the value of low-budget movies with rough production values is--there's something about the cracks and crevices that seems to let weirdnesses leak through, in ways that better-made movies don't.

    A friend of mine says that B-movies represent the collective id--they're a direct line to America's subconscious. Stuff happens in them that doesn't and can't in mainstream Hollywood movies, which conform to a certain standard and a certain market.

    White Zombie is a perfect example of that, for me. It creeps me out, and I can't say why. It's just really good at creating a flickering nightmare world, that I feel like I'm looking at from a distance, through watery glass, and yet really disturbed by in a way that there's suddenly no distance at all.

    That's the best I can describe it.

    ReplyDelete