Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm Dancin' and Singin' In The Rain: Analysis of a Scene



When I was little my parents showed me the infamous scene in Singin’ In The Rain where Gene Kelly, in a moment of genuine happiness, dances and sings on the side of a street in the pouring rain. Although I can’t remember what age I was when I first witnessed this classic moment in cinema, I do know that I was young enough to not understand what exactly was happening in the movie, who the person was on screen, or the impact the film would eventually have on me. However, I was aware of one thing and perhaps the thing that matters the most. I was able to recognize that for whatever reason, this moment did not only show the simple joys of life but also was extremely important to the subject that I would later have passion for and devote my studies to.
After watching this film in high school and then again in this class, I’ve decided to analyze this particular scene for no other reason than that I love it so much. I know it’s the clichĂ© scene to love and is the most recognizable and famous scene in the film but I think that this is the case for a reason. After studying what goes into making a film, I really want to figure out what exactly it was that the filmmakers were trying to do with this scene. While analyzing these technical aspects I hope to discover what it is that makes the scene so memorable and inspirational for so many people including myself.
The camera work in the scene is both simplistic and formulaic. Because there is such a close tie between camera speed, movement, and angle and the music, the scene flows fluidly and flawlessly. The shots that the filmmakers used are relatively simple yet carefully chosen and composed. The scene follows a relatively easy-to-follow formula. Throughout the entire scene, the camera remains fluid, never stationary, as it continues to follow the action. We begin with wide shots (often long and medium) that track the subject. These shots later dolly in and form close-ups. Once the close-up is established, the camera waits roughly one measure of the song and then cuts back out to another wide shot from a different angle. This camera motion is repeated throughout the scene, and never fully breaks away from the pattern. The simplicity of the shots (wide shot, dolly in to close-up, and then cut back to wide) perfectly reflects the simple joy of Don Lockwood’s experience. There is no complex, deeper meaning behind his actions. The perfect moment in Don’s life is also mirrored by the flawlessness of the editing and the camera movement.
The scene is roughly five minutes long and in that time nine cuts are made. Not only does this say a lot about the importance of Gene Kelly’s performance but it also says a lot about the filmmaker’s technique and priorities. Once again, the cutting of the camera from one shot to the next follows a pattern that perfectly corresponds with the music being played. The cuts are made whenever the song switches measures. This hides the edit, making the scene appear to run constant and flawless.
Aside from the camera work and the editing, a lot was put into this scene in order to create this flawless and memorable moment. The blocking of not only Kelly but also other actors that temporarily run in and out of the frame is extremely important to both the visual composition and the flow of the scene. Although we are meant to believe that this is a “spur of the moment” action, everything in the scene (including what was mentioned above) was carefully planned. Not only are Gene Kelly’s movements and footsteps perfectly synchronized with the beat of the song, but so is everyone else’s. A man quickly passes by, refusing to acknowledge Don. A couple holds a newspaper over their heads as they elegantly turn, wondering why Don is so happy in the middle of a storm. A police officer stops him. A man without an umbrella receives one from Don at the end of the scene. All of these people’s movements perfectly flow to the beat of the song much like the movements of the main character. Although the actions appear rehearsed, they are overlooked by the audience because everything, for whatever reason, seems to fit just right.
Of course, these technical elements would most likely not be recognized by normal film viewers let alone young kids (like me when I first experienced this scene). Although all of these techniques that the filmmakers used subconsciously lead audiences to feel the beauty and poignancy of the moment, there is something else that people recognize. This “something else” is much more on the surface and is the main reason why I was able to connect to it at such a young age. This, I believe is in the iconic and everlasting performance of Gene Kelly. In order to make this scene successful and force audiences to feel half of what the character is feeling, the performance had to be both believable and genuine. And although after all this analysis I see what it is the filmmakers were trying to do, I recognize that the camera, by itself, was not able to show the happiness and beauty that was so perfectly expressed in Gene Kelly’s performance.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you're doing here--showing us, piece by precise piece, the painstaking camera and editing work and perfect timing that goes into creating the illusion of spontaneity.

    But I think you're saying there's something that transcends the technical craft too, that has to do with Gene Kelly himself, something beyond craft to the singularity of the actor--and how a really, really amazing movie scene somehow brings both of those things together.

    What you've broken down here, is what cinematic magic actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about Gene Kelly. He really is an amazing performer- both dancing and singing and really letting the audience feel his joy.

    Of course, since I am not a film major, I didn't notice a lot of the technical things that you pointed out. But reading your analysis, I can definitely see how those things perfected the scene.

    ReplyDelete