Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mr. Dadier is My Hero


A while back I saw a film that I would guess many people haven’t seen mainly because it wasn’t very popular and it was absolutely horrible. The movie was High School High, a comedy that stars John Lovitz and Tia Carrera (Cassandra in Wayne’s World) about a man that begins teaching at an inner-city school. The reason why I mention this movie is because there are two scenes in the film that directly parody both Rebel Without a Cause and Blackboard Jungle. The film contains a scene where Jon Lovitz plays “chicken” with a few rebellious students as well as a scene where Tia Carrera’s character is sexually attacked by a student only to have Jon Lovitz who, as the scene progresses, accidentally removes more clothes from her than the student. Although I couldn’t help but think about this terrible piece of cinema while watching these two pictures, it didn’t affect my viewing or opinion that both Rebel Without A Cause and Blackboard Jungle were wonderful films.
With that irrelevant information being said, I loved Blackboard Jungle. I know that I say this every week but this is one of my favorite films that we’ve watched this semester. I may just be a sucker for this type of story. I love the idea of characters being pushed and their potential finally being recognized and brought out by a particular person. I could really see why this film was groundbreaking. I know someone stated this in class, but I was really surprised that the filmmakers were bold enough to create a film like this in the 1950’s, one that addresses the issues of race and rebelliousness that was so apparent at that time. While watching the film, I had a similar reaction to Sidney Poitier as I did to James Dean. It made me want to see more of his movies simply because he was so powerful, his voice demanding as much attention as his physical presence. Another character that I really loved in the film that many people really didn’t was the teacher, Mr. Dadier.
Glenn Ford’s portrayal of Richard Dadier to me was absolutely brilliant, and despite what many people stated in class, I found his character to be genuine, caring, and selfless. I think in order for us to really connect with this character and not just judge him based on his flaws we must understand that he isn’t the perfect hero. Mr. Dadier has flaws just like anyone else and I think that it’s a little too much to ask our hero to be completely perfect. One point that I really didn’t agree with was that Richard Dadier was secretly a racist and that his “good guy” persona that he had while teaching was all just an act. It was cited in class that the moment where he says to Miller, “you black…” was the moment where his true colors began to show and that he was actually quite a bad person. I think that this moment shows that he is human and makes the statement that this type of thing happens to all of us. No matter how good we are, we all slip at times, but that doesn’t mean that we are secretly a horrible racist person. And the fact that he immediately catches himself, is astonished by his reaction, and apologizes for what he said says a lot about his character, for it takes a truly understanding and non-racist person to take back that comment in the 1950’s.
Another point that was made was that Glenn Ford’s character was sexist and was very flirtatious with the new teacher at the school. Alright, part of this I would agree with. I was a little shocked when he gave his pregnant wife wine while saying, “The wine is for the wife.” But aside from this, I thought that he was a caring husband who never intended to hurt his wife in any way. Also, once again, this is the 1950’s. Some of his behavior, although appearing a little bit sexist or degrading now, was probably normal in that time period.
Finally, it was mentioned in class that he was physically violent towards Artie West, slamming him up against the blackboard. Yes this particular action was a little bit inappropriate and over the top, but I didn’t think that it showed anything more than how frustrated he was. After disarming West and slamming him into the board, Dadier, whose face is almost in tears, repeatedly hits him up against it. I realize that this probably wasn’t the right thing to do, but once again, he is flawed just like all of us and his frustration for this particular type of rebellious youth finally comes out. But with all this being said, I feel like Dadier is a positive and moral character that tries to help these students no matter how hard they make it for him.
I think another issue is that Glenn Ford’s appearance isn’t exactly the most appealing and not what we think of as being our typical perfect hero. He doesn’t have that same type of presence that Gregory Peck does as Atticus in To Kill A Mocking Bird or even Sidney Poitier does as Miller. A presence that seems to radiate off the screen letting us know that everything they do will be positive and for the greater good. Rather Ford’s character is somewhat rough around the edges and isn’t always prepared to do what is politically correct. But this doesn’t mean he is a bad, uncaring, or racist person. He is just a flawed hero that still serves his purpose by continually going back and selflessly trying to improve the lives of others.

3 comments:

  1. I loved High School High. I thought it was hysterical when I first saw it...granted I was 13. The part when Jon first enters the school, and sees one of the guys with corn rows that had little cars running through them was so funny. To me.
    I agree with Dadier's behavior being appropriate for the time period. In most movies we see either from the 1950s or about the 1950s, men typically act this way. Whether its true or not, this is what we see and immediately associate with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't necessarily think that Dadier was a bad person. I felt that he truly wanted to help these children. He had a chance to transfer to a suburban school but didn't take it. That shows that he does care about the well-being of the kids in the city school. I felt that he wanted them all to realize their full potential and that was why he tended to be rough with them on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree with Maggie here. Dadier is a good person--he's a middle-class white guy with liberal views and the very best intentions. Part of what makes this movie so interesting, especially for its time, is its suggestions about the failure of liberalism--not from a conservative perspective, but rather to say that liberalism that's blind to any but white, middle-class values is insufficient for addressing real problems. Part of what makes racism so difficult to address and deal with is that most people really aren't flaming racists. They're nice people with blind spots, for the most part, and unless your blind spots get challenged, it's near-impossible to change, because you never know that you ought to (this is the impersonal you here).

    Pregnant women actually drank alcohol before the Big Taboo. It really wasn't actually that big a deal to have a little beer or wine with dinner. Strange from today's perspective, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete